So things have been going well here. 3 hours of Russian a day and then about 1 1/2 hr. of homework after that is starting to wear on me but I did successfully call my host family today and in full Russian tell them I wont be home for dinner, the volunteers are all going out, and that I will be home at 830. I was very proud...it was not perfect and I did not understand some of the things that she said back to me, but the message was recieved none the less! Its that moment that makes me want to learn more so that one day I will have a full conversation.
So I am about 1 hr. outside of Kyiv, in a city of about 50,000. It is really nice is easy to navigate. We taught in school today for the first time. Nothing is scarier then 25 Ukrainian 6th graders looking to you for a lesson for the next 40 minutes in broken Russian/English. It went alright for the first time. The kids were really invovled and participated when we asked them to, which I believe is half the battle. This Sunday we are going to Kyiv to explore and see the Peace Corps offices. I am really excited to go experience the capital.
The schedule is starting to become very hectic. We have 3 hrs. of Russian everyday, teach once a week, have 1 1/2 hr. of individual Russian tutoring, technical classes and tutors throughout the week, organization visits, and then homework. Plus, we have to start planning our end of training community project and summer camp for the kids. So far though everything we do is new so its interesting and pushes us to try new things.
Oh, and it was the Orthodox Easter this past Sunday. We woke at 4 am to be at mass at 5 am. It was early but worth it. Everyone had a basket of food they brought to be blessed and everyone lit a candle in their basket. Then everyone stood around the pond and with their basket on the ground and waited for the priest (I think that is the proper term) to come bless. Since it was still dark you could really only see the pond and the candles all around it. It really was one of the more beautiful things I have ever seen. Then we all went home and ate food.
Anyways, I think that is about it for now. Hope everyone is doing well at home. Fill me in on some news, I have no idea what is going on over there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment